Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Be Like Clay: Come Out Already!


So in honor of Gaiken, I have decided that it's time for us to come clean. Since I normally babble about television, let's come out of the television closet.

I have a theory that all of us, no matter how "open" we act with our friends, each secretly loves a TV show that is embarrassing to admit. Now, I'm not talking about TiVoing I Love Money or watching a marathon of Lifetime movies (Mother, May I Sleep With Danger? is still the standard bearer of that genre). We're not embarrassed by our of love of melodrama and trash television - we're aware that actually makes us more endearing.

What I'm talking about is worse. It's loving a show that is, for lack of a better word, mediocre. Ordinary. Appealing to the average. A show that your friends wonder aloud "Who watches that crap" and the answer is you.

I'll go first: My name is Mon Chi Chi - and I love NCIS. I do. I love it. Mark Harmon is a childhood obsession, and he's aging like a fine wine that I'd like to sip for hours. I realize that it's a by-the-numbers procedural, and that any person with an semi decent I.Q. can predict who the killer is in fifteen minutes. (OMG! The delivery driver wasn't actually a delivery driver - he was the killer!) I get that it is a show designed for people over the age of fifty who've given up on ever having plans on a Tuesday night. I get that the assigned quirks for each character are so unoriginal as to make Tarantino say "Wow. That's really derivative!" (Awkward Computer Guy! Girl Scientist That Is Hot And Goth! Hot Woman Agent Who Can Kill You In Fifty Ways But Can't Have A Successful Relationship And Since She Is Foreign, Messes Up English! Woman In Charge That Once Had Love Affair With Main Character! Main Character Who's Motivated To Catch Criminals Because Criminals Once Killed His Wife And Daughter!)

And I don't care. I waited for last nights season opener with as much glee as I had for season two of Mad Men. And you know what? Even though I had to watch it online because of a certain husband who thought it was less important than other shows, it was awesome. (Spoiler: There's a double agent at NCIS and she doesn't realize that Gibbs is on to her! I KNOW - terrible! And yet WONDERFUL.)

It's your turn now - get it off your chest in comments. What show do you secretly love?

No comments: